Gaggan in Bangkok has claimed the top spot in the list of Asia’s 50 Best Restaurants for a second consecutive year. Asia’s 50 Best Restaurants, sponsored by S.Pellegrino & Acqua Panna, revealed the 2016 list at an awards ceremony at the W Hotel in Bangkok, Thailand, before an audience of the region’s most celebrated chefs, restaurateurs and industry VIPs.
Now in its fourth year, the 2016 list welcomes 10 new entries, including three from Japan. China counts 13 restaurants on the list while Singapore and Japan each have 10. With 13 nations represented, the 2016 list includes restaurants from more countries than ever before, showcasing a rich variety of dining experiences across Asia.
Gaggan retains the dual titles of The Best Restaurant in Asia, sponsored by S.Pellegrino & Acqua Panna and The Best Restaurant in Thailand, sponsored by S.Pellegrino & Acqua Panna. At his eponymous Bangkok restaurant, Chef Gaggan Anand draws inspiration from the street food of his home town of Kolkata, reinterpreting traditional Indian cuisine with modernist cooking techniques. His approach is inventive, adventurous and highly individual, yet respectful of India’s culinary legacy. After debuting on The World’s 50 Best Restaurants list in 2014 at No.17, Gaggan rose to No.10 last year on the global list and No.1 in Asia’s 50 Best Restaurants.
Individual Country Awards
- Gaggan (Bangkok) – (No. 1) Best Restaurant in Asia & Best Restaurant in Thailand
- Narisawa (Japan) – (No. 2) Best Restaurant in Japan for the fourth successive year
- Andre (Singapore) – (No. 3) Best Restaurant in Singapore
- Amber (Hong Kong)- Best Restaurant in China
- Mingles (Seoul) – (No. 15) Highest New Entry Award & Best Restaurant in Korea
- Gallery Vask (Manila) – (No. 39)Best Restaurant in the Philippines
- Locavore (Bali) – (No. 49) Best Restaurant in Indonesia
- Indian Accent (India) – (No. 9) Best Restaurant in India for the second year
- Le Moût (Taiwan) – (No. 30) Best Restaurant in Taiwan
- Ministry of Crab (Colombo) – (No. 31) Best Restaurant in Sri Lanka
- Cuisine Wat Damnak (Cambodia) – No. 43) Best Restaurant in Cambodia